August 26, 2012

08.25.2012 Nicholas Sparks


Nothing beats a Saturday evening spent watching young Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth fall in love over baby turtles and sand volleyball from the comfort of your apartment. Outside the standard "I can't believe they're engaged" and "I can't believe that new haircut," all I could think was, "this movie is going to have a depressing ending."


I've gotten Nicholas Sparks figured out. First, he pulls you in with an over-the-top, basically unrealistic love story. Then he layers in a few obstacles to that love story (includes everyone's favorite "wrong side of the tracks" social class excuse), which can be paired with a bit of over-the-top, basically unrealistic melodrama. Then, it gets depressing. When you deal with Nicholas Sparks, somebody usually dies. It's only a matter of who that'll be.

This is when I've recently decided to do the following: never read the books (no change to my normal behavior) and only watch the movies up to the point when the couple is happily in love. Then, be done with it. Additional rule: avoid "The Notebook" at all costs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment