July 15, 2013

Heat Wave Fashion

With expected temperatures in the 90s in New York City for the entire upcoming week, it's time to reassess my wardrobe. My youth and young adult life in the state of Wisconsin did not prepare me for this, and my extensive collection of sweatshirts, corduroy (yes, corduroy) pants, and long underwear (YES, long underwear) are proof enough of that.

So what better excuse to go shopping than unreasonably, though apparently not unseasonably, hot weather? Here's what I've found:

1. Bikini: We wear them at a public beach, so I think they should be socially acceptable in all public places. I don't actually agree with that statement, but this weather is making me say crazy things.


"How I Met Your Mother," fanpop.com

Columbia "Global Adventure Dress," REI.com
2. Wicking Fabric: Sweating isn't fun and feeling sweaty is equally un-wonderful. Though I love the idea of letting clothes do all the work, it seemed nearly impossible to find anything remotely good looking made from this wonderful material. Columbia's "Global Adventure Dress" was the closest I could get to non-hideous, but no amount of wicking could make up for how painful it is just to see sleeves of any length on a dress right now.
I'd like to point out that I think "Global Adventure Dress" is quite a bold title for Columbia to place on this, but I'll let it slide for throwing in a zip pocket.
3. Barely There: If you're willing to draw a few judging stares and shaking heads of disapproval in your direction from the decidedly more conservative crowd, pair this dress from Nasty Gal with a good deodorant, and you're seriously good to go!

I'd also like to make a point on the fact that pretty much anything you find from Nasty Gal is just barely there enough to be comfortable in any unbelievably warm location, whether it be public transportation or an annoyingly hip nightclub.
  
NastyGal "Lush Life Dress," nastygal.com
Though you're likely get a range of looks for wearing any of the above in this weather, I'm personally going to advocate for the bikini tee. Let's make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment