December 26, 2012

"Paris vs. New York"

When thinking upon my favorite cities, I have often desired some sort of formal documentation that compares and contrasts the places near and dear to my heart. Well, throw any city in Wisconsin against pretty much any other city, and my guess is that sales potential is limited. What about New York City and Paris? Yeah, that will work too.

I have seen previous reviews about this book, in which it is referred to as a "love letter" to these great places. While I am familiar with the two title cities, I imagine that it's less like a letter and more like a note you'd pass on to your high school crush, in which you use a significant number of inside jokes. 

Yes, there are many icons universally known to both cities (example below: Statue of Liberty and Eiffel Tower), but beyond that, it is a lovely collection of images best appreciated by those familiar with The Big Apple and The City of Light. Ever taken a ride on the Metro or the Subway? If not, then the images of public transportation maps and tickets will have much less meaning. 

The book isn't really something you read but more something you admire and leave on a coffee table in your home for others to admire and think highly of you for being so worldly (just assuming that's what they would think).

Source: The Cut

No comments:

Post a Comment