March 8, 2012

03.08.2012 Color



Went to the mall today and was repeatedly slapped in the face by color. Retailers have taken it upon themselves to tell society that color is "the new black." As somebody who prefers the comfort of a neutral-toned outfit, I'm open to the idea of color.

However, I'm not open to the idea of being told when color is in style. I understand being told that mint green is trendy or that argyle is the "it" pattern of the season (argyle was a bad example, but you get my point). Nobody tells me to wear color. I wear color on my own terms, and I just want that to be clear.

But let's take a moment to appreciate color, and a few of its various retail advocates. First and foremost, Target and their "color ninjas," as I like to call them, want you to know that "color changes everything." A French nursery rhyme soundtrack just makes the change seem chic.




Gap has adopted the slogan "Be Bright" in what I assume is an attempt to hint that "being bright" doesn't just mean wearing colorful clothing but being smart enough to decide that a pair of green denim pants is a practical addition to your everyday wardrobe.

Source: Daily Billboard

Ann Taylor LOFT lost me a little, but I'll give it to them. There's no reason why I couldn't wear an all pink suit to the office and still be respected for my intelligence, business acumen, and work ethic. Let's be clear. Head to toe pink might not be the best idea.   

Source: SaraZucker.com

No comments:

Post a Comment