November 18, 2012

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2

Some have called this movie the "perfect ending" to the Twilight Saga , and I have to agree in the sense that I feel any end to this franchise is perfect for me. No offense to the so-called "Twihards" out there, and maybe it's because I have never read the books or seen any of the other movies beyond the first, but I believe it to be a wonder that Twilight is as popular as it is. And for having the kind of dedicated fan base it does, I have to give Twilight credit.

Source: Wikipedia 

Going out to see a Sunday evening movie and planning to pick upon arrival at the theater, the options that greeted us were essentially 80% Twilight. If we're going to talk supply and demand here, it was a super-surplus of Twilight. However, as the undisputed #1 film at this weekend's box office, I was not entirely unhappy to take part in the cultural phenomenon.

I was not surprised by thinking that the plot was a little ridiculous, but I was certainly surprised by the very passionate audience of fans. I have never heard such a positive reaction to the prospect of decapitated vampires or such a content and happy sigh in response to a werewolf creature in love. Even though I didn't entirely understand it, did I applaud right along with the audience? You bet I did.

And then, when the overly extended credits rolled at the end, did I sit through them in entirety with the rest of the audience? Yes. But only because they didn't turn on the theater lights until it was over, and I felt the darkness created unsafe conditions for walking down the aisle steps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment