November 13, 2012

UK Word of the Year

The moment you've all been waiting for. Better than Christmas. Better than Thanksgiving. Better than those other random holidays and celebrations throughout the November and December months. Today is the day that the Oxford Dictionary announces its word of the year.. 


Yes, "omnishambles" is your 2012 word of the year.. in the UK. I don't know that there's a US equivalent, but I've decided to disregard it if it exists, because I like the word omnishambles. Upon further examination of the word, you'll see that at its root it essentially means "everything's a mess." Next step? Incorporate into everyday conversation. Easily done.

Final note. Spell check doesn't formally recognize the word yet (which is an outrage in the word world, I'm sure). Lots of red underlining as I type this, but it's a real word just like Pinocchio is a real boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment