January 3, 2013

Downton Abbey

Yes, I know. I'm really behind the times on this one. Forgive me for not jumping aboard the Masterpiece Theater bandwagon EVERY time there's a new drama series involving British accents, Maggie Smith, and references to the Titanic. This time, however, I will admit that I was wrong to wait.


The show is basically a Jane Austen book but with more scandal and seemingly more realistic (not that I know what it was like to live in England's high society prior to and during the beginning of World War I, but I always thought those Austen novels were a little too much sometimes). Plus, there are some decent looking, chivalrous male characters with teeth that would make you think British people actually have great teeth. I'll take it.

And for those of you that, like me, have yet to experience the wonders of the series sometimes mistakenly called "Downtown Abbey" by random people (or friends of mine that really added that second "w" on their own for what they considered logical reasons), the entire first season is now on Netflix. You can lock yourself in your home and become a captive audience for the hours of intrigue, romance, and, of course, Maggie Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment