January 10, 2013

In-Flight Magazines

About one year ago, I wrote a post about the joys of my favorite in-flight catalog, Sky Mall. But today, as I am again fresh from a travel experience, I could not help but be inspired by the items contained in the seat back, at which I stared for about 3 hours. Beyond safety and evacuation procedures and the air sickness bag, I became intrigued by the remaining in-flight magazine.

I do not care to dive deeply into the content of this month's Delta "Sky" magazine (original publication title for an airline, though I doubt there's much room for creativity). I do not care to comment on the repetitive nature of this content over the many years of flight history, because I recognize that it must also be difficult to really branch out beyond recommending the newest hot spots in various random cities to which you never seem to be traveling (where's the highlight on Milwaukee, huh?).

What is it that really caught me, then? Honestly, it's the cover talent. All I kept wondering about was what John Krasinski was thinking when they told him he'd landed the cover of 'Sky' magazine... I imagine he said something to the tune of, "I'll bet Matt Damon doesn't have to take photo shoots for in-flight magazines."

No comments:

Post a Comment