January 15, 2013

"Los Angeles Overreacts to Cold Temperatures"

I saw this video recently posted by a few friends of mine and noticed a trend among which of those friends did the posting. I can't say that I have a lot of friends in southern California, but there was a dominant representation of those residing in the Midwest and various other "cold weather" places.

At first I thought it was simply due to the Milwaukee shout out in the beginning and then decided it must be due to the ridiculous nature of the response to these temperatures. Obvious deduction, right? Then, I thought about it further and realized that it comes down to a matter of pride.

While vacationing in sunny Florida this previous weekend, I noticed myself looking down my nose at the people commenting on the morning temperature of 60 as "a little chilly." I began to sense superiority when others discussed the high near 80 as "good jeans weather," while I wore as little clothing as public establishments (and personal comfort) would allow. Returning to the cold of the Northeast was a good reality check, and I feel that I can almost relate to what you're about to watch below (or have already seen if you know the video).

I am from Wisconsin, and I am proud of my cold weather tolerance. People in LA need to calm down. I'd say that Midwesterners likely view this video and feel a similar sort of superiority as I felt while appreciating a warmer climate, but we're better than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment